The Golf School

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Golf School
The Golf School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROOKIE TIPS

4 posters

Go down

ROOKIE TIPS Empty ROOKIE TIPS

Post  GazzaGorilla Tue 09 Mar 2010, 10:07 am

Any tips for a rookie having a go this year, especially now I'm eligible for Seniors?
Mr. Bylsma inspired me to have a go many years ago on a chance meeting at Moore Park & kindly gave me a few foot positioning tips. I won a contest in 1995 that he was way too good for me the next time 1997/8?
What drivers are best suited to this competition?
If don't nominate as amateur how does that affect my status in club competitions or Senior Pennants?
Thanks in advance! Very Happy
GazzaGorilla
GazzaGorilla

Back to top Go down

ROOKIE TIPS Empty Re: ROOKIE TIPS

Post  The Animal Tue 09 Mar 2010, 12:14 pm

what are your swing flaws or bad shots mate?

The Animal
The Animal
The Animal

Back to top Go down

Post  GazzaGorilla Wed 10 Mar 2010, 1:08 am

Bad shots = High cut OOB from spin out & not staying down & low hook from rolling over hands
Swing flaws = poor timing & right hand grip can tend to get too strong & also hands creep too low at top of backswing. Generally my brain though hahaha.
Thanks for asking thoughtful question. Twisted Evil affraid
GazzaGorilla
GazzaGorilla

Back to top Go down

Post  stress release Wed 10 Mar 2010, 4:09 am

Some of the guys meet regulary at Hombush (olympic site) and hit some balls.
Most of the time it is Mondays and sometimed Wednesdays. 5:30 onwards till about 9
Some of the good guys will be there and you will prob be able to hit a few peoples clubs to help you find your setup.

The problem is there can be up to 30 different drivers and you are buggered by the time you have hit them, and some of them have XXXXX shafts in them.

FYI I will be at the range tonight, but I will not have my LD clubs.

Take no advice from me as I can only show you what not to do!

I bet you found the blue wiggle (aka grey wiggle) 25 more meters. (left handed senior mens)

Anthony

stress release

Back to top Go down

ROOKIE TIPS Empty Blue Wiggle

Post  GazzaGorilla Thu 11 Mar 2010, 11:09 am

THANX for that, will try to go next week, Mon or Wed(more likely).
Yes, think he was a lefty (McCurdy...? from QLD), nice friendly bloke with dozen+ drivers.
Have been given advice that good start is to try a COBRA Pro D? 7Degree loft w/ 48" shaft...? Laughing
GazzaGorilla
GazzaGorilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Long John Sat 13 Mar 2010, 10:26 am

Hi Gazza and welcome to the longdrive scene. There are so many factors to consider when looking for the right equipment. You mentioned that your bad shots are right and OOB or a flat hook. You can build a club to fix those problems or you can look at the swing technique and physical aspects to hit it better. If you choose the latter then the club set-up will be different. From my experience as a golf coach the high right shot can be caused by spinning out as you mentioned but it could also be a number of other things ( swing faults or physical restrictions). As for the low hooks is it because the hands release to early or is it that your hips stop rotating through impact creating the hands to release early. These are questions I cant answer for you until I see you swing but if you see your local pro im sure he could help.
I will be at the next 2 events in Sydney so if you would like to talk further please come and see me. I would be more than happy to help.

Long John

Back to top Go down

Post  GazzaGorilla Sat 13 Mar 2010, 3:13 pm

Thanx Long John, yes , rotation problems & Mr. Hohnen tried to fix them on Friday for me & felt a bit better today but still need practice to embed them in my overloaded slow brain haha Very Happy
Hoping for future happy straight swinging Arrow & sweet contact.
Thanx again for everybody's help! Very Happy
GazzaGorilla
GazzaGorilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum